We’re back and settled in after a whirlwind New Media Expo in Vegas. Another great year with a tremendous lineup of presentations and wonderful networking opportunities.
Of particular note, was a presentation on making money by selling your media content. Here are a few points from that lecture:
1. Sell sponsorships. This can be done per episode or over a set period of time. As your audience grows, and there are metrics to substantiate them, the value to an advertiser increases. Its a great advertising opportunity because of the high level of engagement of the audience and the niche market they represent.
2. Subscription-based Premium Podcast. This is a great way to create a recurring income stream by creating extra “Premium” content that gets distributed through a podcast feed that only paying subscribers have access to. Examples include extra audio, video or pdf files delivered on a periodic basis.
3. Pay-Per-Episode Downloads. Sell your episodes as one-offs. One podcaster we met runs Yogamazing.com. After 14 weeks of the content being free, he archives it and charges $1.99/download.
4. E-books. Transcribe the podcast and edit it into a PDF file. Just write an intro and conclusion.
5. Affiliate Marketing. Use the power of affiliate marketing by putting related products on your blog or website through a referral program. Usually affiliates offer 10-15% of sales referred through your site. Its also a great way to offer valuable resources to your current audience.
Invisible Idea executes all of the above strategies for its current clients. Please inquire at jonathan at invisibleidea.com with any questions.